3D Animation & VFX for Film
Visual effects artists, animators and compositors create the fantastic worlds, superhuman feats and spectacular imagery that you see on the big (and small) screen. AIE's 3D Animation and Visual Effects for Film program runs over two years, full-time and is designed to get you into these industries. It is a practical course designed to give the best technical training using the latest, state-of-the-art technology.
This course has been written in consultation with leading film and visual effects studios, enabling you to complete impressive film projects that showcase your skills and create a professional show-reel to impress potential employers.
Students develop their skills in 3D modelling, texturing, UVW unwrapping, rigging, animation, lighting, using cameras, rendering and compositing. Students will concept, model and animate character, design game levels, create high-detail creatures, build realistic environments and craft a short animated movie.
In year two, you’ll be set up to work in team-led structures much like real-world Industry workplaces. In addition to learning advanced high polygon modelling, realistic lighting, texturing and advanced realistic character animation, the course incorporates skills in organisation, time and project management.
The course trains you to articulate and present your ideas to peers. It will give you experience and tools for production, management, scriptwriting and essential skills for a number of career development and progression.
Short Film Production
This subject is the culmination of your studies at AIE where you will be working on a group project utilising the skills and knowledge you have developed through the course. You'll work with other students on a multi-disciplinary project. The project may be a Short Animation or a Visual Effects sequence.
You will be demonstrating knowledge of team collaboration, scheduling, and project development while leveraging the skills you have learned throughout the course to complete and deliver the film or Visual Effects project with your team.
Subjects you will study
- 3D Art Pipeline
- Health and Safety in the Office
- Principles of Animation
- Modelling and Texturing
- Character Pipeline
- Character Animation
- Digital Lighting and Compositing
- Production Planning
Software You Will USe
Students utilize industry standard software and resources such as:
- Maya — 3D Modelling, rigging, animating, lighting and rendering
- ZBrush — High-detail sculpting and texturing
- Adobe Photoshop - Concept art and texture maps
- Nuke and 3D Equalizer - Compositing and match-moving
- DaVinci Resolve - Video editing
- Renderman — Rendering
- Deadline — Render farm management
- Substance Painter — High detail materials and texturing
- Substance Designer — Creating custom materials
- Houdini - Visual effects and animation
- ShotGrid - Project management tool design to manage production of visual effects and animation.
Your Career Opportunities
- Character Animator
- Environment Modeler
- Technical Director
- Fur/Feathers FX Artist
- Water FX Artist
- 3D Tracker/Match Mover
- Digital/Matte Painter
- Surfacing/Texture Painter
Graduates can be found working in the film, advertising and TV sectors. Common positions secured by graduates include animator, technical director, surfacing artist and modeller.
Some graduates also move into other fields including medical visualisation and simulations.
Entry for this course is based on:
- Interview - In the interview we are assessing your suitability for the course including any specific requirements you may have.
- Portfolio - we are looking for evidence of creativity which is demonstrated through a collection of works in a medium of your choosing.
- Copy of your Year 12 Certificate OR by achieving an Exit Level 3 score within the Australian Core Skills Framework assessments in reading and numeracy.
An Exit Level 3 score within the Australian Core Skills Framework assessments in reading and numeracy will show that you have the capability to be successful in this course. AIE can assist you with this assessment process if required and results will be reported to you as soon as practicable. As per the Department of Education and Training guidelines, assessment results are also available to the Department Secretary on request.
For more information please see our interview and portfolio page
Maximum tuition fees for the intake commencing February and July 2023
|3D Animation and Visual Effects||Tuition Fee|
|Year 1||CUA51020 Diploma of Screen and Media (2023)||$16,750|
|delivered in conjunction with|
|CUA51120 Diploma of Visual Arts (2023)||$16,150|
|Year 2||CUA60620 Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media (2024)||$17,300|
The VET Student Loans program allows eligible students enrolled in AIE's approved Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Graduate Diploma courses to defer part of the cost of their tuition fees. Courses are subject to maximum loan caps and students will be required to pay any fee over and above that cap. For more information visit our VET Student Loans page.
- VET student loans will not be approved for students who do not meet eligibility requirements.
- VET student loan gives rise to a HELP debt that continues to be a debt due to the Commonwealth until it is repaid.
- On successful completion of stage 1, students will be awarded recognition of prior learning or credit transfer towards Stage 2 of the Advanced Diploma.
For more information on our tuition fees, please visit our FEES page
To see our international fees, please visit our FEES page
STUDY MODE OPTIONS: CAMPUS | ONLINE | EVENINGS
Students can study this program in the following modes:
|Study Mode||Campus||Day and times||Hours per week|
|Face to Face||AIE Campus in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra or Adelaide||Week days, 9am to 5pm||20 hours (full-time)|
|Online Day-time||AIE Online Campus||Week days, 9am to 5pm AEST||20 hours (full-time)|
|Online Evenings||AIE Online Campus||Week nights, 5pm to 9pm AEST||20 hours (full-time)|
|Online Part-time||AIE Online Campus||Week nights, 5pm to 9pm AEST||Flexible, between 4 - 20 hours|
NATIONALLY-ACCREDITED QUALIFICATIONSThis two-year, full-time program has been developed with industry and is delivered through the following qualifications:
|3D Animation & Visual Effects||Cricos|
|Year 1||CUA51020 Diploma of Screen and Media||106064C|
|delivered in conjunction with|
|CUA51120 Diploma of Visual Arts||106067M|
|Year 2||CUA60620 Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media||106065B|
Meet The Teachers
3D Animation and VFX News
Discover the courses designed to get you started in game development, 3D animation and visual effects at the AIE Information Evening. Sydney, Melbourne Canberra and Adelaide campuses will be opening their doors to visitors eager to find out about full-time and part-time courses starting soon.Now an online livestream event